Friday, September 26, 2008

Blind Girl



Hi, My name is Blind Girl. My sister and I were born on February 8th. She could see; I couldn't. Our mother took good care of us and my sister was always by my side. In fact, I fooled the shepherd for almost two months. Some days he thought I could see; but then again he wasn't quite sure. Finally, my sister got bored with my hanging around all the time and I was weaned. Then my secret was out: I was totally blind.

However, I am a very smart lamb and have learned some tricks to survive. In fact I weigh more than my twin sister. That's because I use my sense of smell to find all the best grass. I can also hear better than my sister. I have learned to go out in the pasture with the rest of the flock by listening for hoof steps, munching, and baaing. Sometimes I wander off on my own and the rest of the flock goes back to the barn or to the far side of the pasture without me. I listen for sounds and if I can't hear anything close I call out to find the direction everyone has gone. The flock seems to know I need a little guidance and someone will always answer my call so I can join them.

I also have a very good memory. The shepherd has a special place where he trims our hooves and weighs us. The path to the treatment station is long and has lots of turns. At first I got confused about which way to go, but now I am experienced and don't miss a turn. I have also figured out just how far the jump from the treatment station to the ground is. Once the shepherd removed a box that had been at the end of the station. I couldn't see the change and I fell down. The next time I remembered the step was a big one and lept gracefully to the ground.

I am very friendly most of the time. I do get frightened in strange places until I learn where the fences are. I have learned to walk close to the fence if I am in a new place. I don't like coming to a corner because I always bang my head into the fence. Sometimes the shepherd tries to help me but I like to find my own way. If he tries to catch me, I run. His feet make lots of noise and I just run away from him and try not to hit a fence. It works best if he talks quietly to me. Then I will let him help me get to a safe place.

I wonder if the shepherd is thinking about keeping me. I think I would be a very good mother, especially if bells were put on my lambs so I could find them when they don't answer my call. After all you can see what a fine ewe I will make even if I am blind.

1 comment:

My Little Monkies said...

Have you tried walking blind girl on a lead? She may be a perfect candidate for this and to be used in fairs. I am not sure if they have to see to be shown but with her memory and friendliness she may be perfect.